Thoughts on spirituality, psychology, and life in general.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Omnipresence of God

I love the omnipresence of God. I’ve been contemplating this a lot lately and have come to revel in my awareness that God is everywhere, all of the time. This belief in the omnipresence of God is a common thread running through almost all of the major religions and if you’ve had any kind of religious training you’ve probably come across this teaching. I enjoy the fact that most of us can agree upon this. When different belief systems and religions agree upon something, I take notice and find it to be very interesting and also rather comforting.

Years ago, even though I had been taught about the omnipresence of God, I somehow got the impression that God was only with certain people - the super-spiritual, hyper-religious folks in particular, or those who had performed the required formulaic steps for receiving God. I am relieved now to understand and grasp the belief that God doesn’t pick and choose where S/he is present based on any performance on our part. God is a God of extravagant grace and S/he doesn’t play favorites. Omnipresence means everywhere, so regardless of who we are or whether we know it or not or admit it or not, God is with us.

Perhaps you are familiar with the Christmas carol, “O Come, O Come, Emanuel.” Emanuel means “God with us.” I wrote a poem about this.

Emmanuel, God with us, around us and above,
we’re continually abiding in your radiant love.

Thank you for your presence and the richness that it brings,
Your kingdom is within us and when remembered our heart sings.

Perfect infinite love – so amazing, so divine,
Your never-ending goodness is with us all the time.

Knowing that the infinite love and ever-present goodness of God is always with us is very empowering. The more we realize this the more we benefit from it. Social scientists, biologists and physicists have discovered that whatever we focus on expands. Focusing on junk will manifest more junk, focusing on good will manifest more good. Increasing our awareness of the reality that we are dwelling in the goodness of God will manifest even more of the goodness of God in our lives. Denying it or simply not knowing about it doesn’t negate the presence of God in a person’s life. But knowing it and choosing to continually remind ourselves of it is very edifying to our spirit and it activates and increases that Power within us and around us.

Does this mean then that if we do this we will never have challenges? Of course not, but what it does mean is that God’s presence is with us during those challenging times and S/he provides us with strength, wisdom and whatever else it may be that we need to grow and advance through them. I don’t believe that God is separate from us nor do I believe S/he is an entity that manipulates our lives as though we were pawns on a chessboard. I believe that we abide in God and God abides in us and when we choose to focus on this our faith grows and our inner-knowing of the Divine Presence expands. Ultimately we are transformed.

Jesus said that the kingdom of heaven (or the kingdom of God) is within us. He also quoted the Old Testament (also called the Hebrew Bible) scripture that says “ye are gods” (meaning us).* I know people who are uncomfortable with this scripture. They think that it’s blasphemous to call a person a god. I think what Jesus was talking about here was this concept that the kingdom of God is within us. God is omnipresent and dwells in us, and at the same time we dwell in God. We have God’s Spirit in us. Because of this we are divine beings and thus the quote, “ye are gods.”

Think of the ramifications of this. God who is Love, Wisdom, Intelligence, Goodness, Joy, Peace, Kindness, and Creativity is within us and around us. God, with all of these attributes, lives in you and me and chooses to express through us. That, my friend, is an awesome and wonderful truth to behold. I hope you’ll be uplifted and encouraged by this and allow it to really soak into your consciousness. As I said in my poem, remember this often and your heart will sing.

*These are the scriptures I am referring to: Luke 17:21, John 10:34 and Psalm 82:6.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this Beth!

Kim

Beth said...

Thanks Kim. I just sent you an email. Hope you're doing ok.

Susan R. said...

"After years and years of church activities, searching, talking with people I respected (all the usual), I woke up one day (literally) with the realization that God is indeed everywhere. What a shift that was for me! I didn’t have to do/be anything in order to be with God and, in fact, there was no way NOT to be with God. What a relief!"