Thoughts on spirituality, psychology, and life in general.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Some Thoughts on Prejudice and Judgment

I was thinking the other day how some people pride themselves on embracing racial diversity but then turn around and harshly judge people of a different political party. I’m not talking about disagreeing with someone’s political position. I mean deciding you don’t like someone based on their political party or deciding that something that someone is saying lacks credibility based on their political background.

Race isn’t the only area where prejudice exists. Think of all the areas where we are prone to prejudging people; race, religion, sexual preference, and politics are the obvious ones but what about some less obvious areas. I know many people who are judgmental towards those who have been determined by society or the medical community to be overweight. What about people with tattoos and piercings? Do you think they’re ever stereotyped? I myself have noticed that I have used the word “bimbo” a couple of times in conversation lately to describe certain young women. Sounds a little judgy, doesn’t it? Even the young and beautiful are judged. But, the area where I struggle with judging the most is with people who I think are judgmental. Ironically, I am intolerant of intolerance! (Oops, that’s a little hypocritical, isn’t it?)

Let’s face it. We all judge (and if you think you don’t, think again.) It’s a part of being human. But rather than embracing our judgments and making them a part of our identity or creed I think we need to consider the alternative. Let’s examine ourselves. Who would we be without our judgmental thoughts? Seriously, try to imagine it. Whoever it is that you have a tendency to judge, picture yourself not having those thoughts about them. Who would you be and what would you feel like without those thoughts? Free? Clear? Kind? Happy? Those thoughts aren’t only harmful to the people they are aimed at. They are harmful to you as well…probably even more so. Give yourself a wonderful gift and set yourself free. If you find yourself having a judgmental thought, ask yourself “Who would I be without this thought? What would I be like?” Visualizing yourself without that thought and imagining how it would feel is often enough to let it go. It simply evaporates. And it feels so much better to be without it! (If that doesn’t do it for you, I highly recommend Byron Katie’s book “Loving What Is.”)

The diversity of God’s garden is a blessing to enjoy, not a problem to endure. I read a wonderful quote today by Rev. Linda McNamar. She said “Just as there is a wide variety in music, from jazz to classical, from rock to rap, the way we express our individual songs of life provides a rich diversity of experience. When we express who we genuinely are, in harmony with others, the world is blessed. Let’s rejoice in our diversity and praise it!”

No comments: