Thoughts on spirituality, psychology, and life in general.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thoughts on Turning 50

What is it that’s so tasty about turning fifty? To me it seems so delicious. I think it must be the seasoning.

All of the things I’ve been through, both good and bad, feel like the herbs and spices that have served to enhance the flavors of my life. I could not say that I feel like a fine wine aged to perfection. No, I feel more like ground beef that’s been through the meat grinder and is now enjoying the warmth of the grill and all of the salt and the seasonings that have been sprinkled upon it!

Our life experiences and how we deal with them are a part of what makes us who we are. Mistakes and failures that we suffer through, as well as successes and achievements that we are proud of, provide our life’s enhancements. They give us depth. We can turn fifty and be sad that our youth is behind us or we can turn fifty and look back at all we have done and enjoy a sense of accomplishment at the journey we have taken. For some reason, mourning the end of my youth was not an option or even a temptation for me. For one thing, I still feel youthful and I know that age is just a number. If I told myself I was “old” I know I would soon become “old.” Quite the contrary, I feel like I’m just getting started and I’m excited about what lies ahead.

When I turned forty I thought I was entering the best decade of my life. Now turning fifty I feel the same way, even more so. If life were a four course meal, I’d just be getting to the entrée. Bon appetit!

4 comments:

Robin Cain said...

What resonates with me most is the idea that age measurement is arbitrary... how old do you feel? In some ways feel like the same girl I was at 10, 20, 30 and 40... ageless in a way! Yeah, I have a little bit of trepidation about turning 50, but I believe that you are as young as you feel! I will never say I am old, because it just isn't true!

Dealing with a society that doesn't value age is another matter! That takes courage, persistence, and the strength to swim against the tide. Just because you're over 50 (or 60 or whatever) does not mean you become irrelevant! People of a certain age need to ignore that sentiment and freely give of their gifts and talents because they are valuable!

Thanks for the thoughts, Beth!

Karen said...

Lovely post, Beth. I like what one of my friends tells folks who ask her age: "Age is just a number, and mine is unlisted."

christine said...

I love how you compare yourself to flavorful ground beef. I am much more "flavorful" myself than I ever was previously. I also feel good about turning 50 although I'm a year behind you. Thanks for paving the way in such an uplifting manner.

Beth said...

It's so fun to receive your comments, ladies. Thank you! The comments I'm hearing both here and on facebook are similar. You're as young as you feel. My additional light-hearted ideas are a reflection of the good state of mind I currently am in. I've not always had such a positive way of viewing the past and all of my flaws. But, thankfully, this is where I am today. Thanks again for your input.